Monday, February 20, 2012

From Trash to Treasure: Half Moon Table with Mirror

BEFORE:

This table has been in my entryway since my first 'grown-up' apartment, then our first house, then our second. It was getting a bit rickety & scratched, & I decided to makeover 
the front rooms in our house (the entryway, living, & dining rooms). 

I picked a color scheme  of creams & rich dark wood for the big pieces of furniture with the usual outdoorsy fall accents of 
dark brown, sage green, burgundy, yellow, & just a teensy splash of sky blue.



First, I took it apart, of course. Then I painted the legs Krylon's 'Heirloom White.'


Then, I changed my mind & painted them Krylon's 'Ivory Silk.'


Next I had to use my finishing sander to sand the beat-up top & 
tape off what I wanted to stay the original wood stain.



Then I spray painted the top & lower half moons the same Krylon color, 'Ivory Silk.'
I had to set them inside to dry so they didn't get dusty in the garage.


After a couple of coats of that & letting it dry overnight, I carefully pulled off the tape. I knew because the woodworking was so intricate that there would be some bleeding (& of course dust!)... 



So I dry-wiped the dust off so I could start my finishing treatment.


Thank God for wood stain pens!
Here was my finishing care kit:


Ta-da!


The lower half moon needed some help, too.


So, I fixed it!


Then came reassembly.


And then it was back in it's place! (But this time, not all covered up!)





You can see the little details around the edge of the lower half moon & at the tops & bottoms of each leg that made me think about distressing it next; but we'll let it hang out like this for awhile & see how I feel about it in a few weeks.



Also, the mirror... what to do with the mirror...
Well, I'm not sure if I'm just going to leave it like it is or if I'm going to go in & do some tiny detail work by hand. Again, I'll give it a few weeks & see how I feel. 
Oh! And that hutch in the reflection of the mirror, it is SO getting attacked this year, too!


And then I realized in all the excitement, that I needed to take it back downstairs for a couple spray coats of polyurethane. I have a two-year-old boy & a dog, duh!



"It was more than discovering something that I loved to do - 
It was discovering someone I had always been." 
 ~ Natalie ;-*
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment